Tuesday, February 12, 2008

The Harley

For years, I have wanted a motorcycle. To be specific, a Harley Davidson, obnoxious, stand up the hair on the back of your neck loud, 1600 cc's of mosey, hot rod of a bike.

My family has known this as well, but every year for my birthday or Christmas I would always get a miniature version to set on my desk at work or a calendar full of photos of bikes I would never own.

Well...last year...I decided that things needed to be different.

This year, I spent most of my birthday at the Harley dealer putting the final touches on the deal to purchase my 2007 Road King Custom. She's black, shiny, and just wake up the neighbors on Saturday morning perfect.

When I bought it...I didn't tell my wife what was going on. Although she suspected something was up, she didn't think I would do anything like that without talking to her... I like to tell everyone that asks how THAT went over... "There was about an hour of real awkwardness...but after that everything was okay." To Rachel's credit...she's pretty easy does it. I'm spoiled.

This picture isn't my bike...but it's identical. This year my goal is to change the handlebars out for some 12 -14 inch apes.

One of the best parts about getting a motorcycle this year is that almost every guy on our street/neighborhood got a bike this year. (About 10 of us altogether) We didn't do as much riding as we wanted to but we did get out a bit. This spring we are planning a trip to Bryce, Grand, and Zion Canyons in Southern Utah and Northern Arizona. The thought of this trip is the only thing keeping me going this winter as I trudge to work in the snow and below freezing temperatures.

I couldn't help myself this evening...I took it out after work and had to dodge ice patches in the road...my hands were freezing but the sun was shining. Warmer days are ahead.

1 comments:

6 P's in a Pod said...

Hey, neighbor! Just found your blog spot on Traci's. Cool. Now I'll blog stalk you, too.