Saturday, February 9, 2008

Cousins, cousins, and more cousins

I recently returned to Missouri for the funeral of my grandmother Phoebe Openshaw. Although we were gathered together to morn the loss of our mother and grandmother, it was also a happy occasion and an opportunity for a reunion of sorts. Unfortunately, from my viewpoint, this is the last time everyone who attended will ever have a reason to be in the same room together. I hope it's not true but the realist in me can't help but point that out.

My sister put together a list of our grandmothers posterity and came up with some pretty crazy numbers. My grandparents had 10 children. Those 10 children produced 71 grand children... and the numbers continue to expand
exponentially. But the point I wanted to make is that I have over 60 first cousins on my mothers side alone! We're like that family in the movie ""My big fat Greek wedding" ! Although, not all are documented in the photo above...we had 39 first cousins in attendance. It was fun to get everyone together but sad that it has to be a funeral to get us to do so.

I always knew I had a lot of cousins... and I'm sure Grandma knew how many grand children she had but I hadn't ever heard those numbers before. We have a big family!


0 comments: